Wednesday, December 31, 2014

A Year In Review: Oh the Places I Went in 2014


One of my favorite things to do is to open up my iPhoto and click on 12 months. It's always neat to see what I was doing exactly a year ago. Well, on January 1, 2014 I was on a plane and, honestly, it's only fitting that this year started off on a plane. I really feel like I went places in 2014. Not only did I have a year full of physical traveling but I also had a year of personal changes and life altering opportunities and I'm the proudest, most confident and most happy that I think I have ever been. So 2014, you were great to me and I can't wait to see what happens in 2015. I'm thankful for a day to look back on my 12 months of photos and remember all of the amazing things that this year had to offer. Here is my list of the 20 things that I learned, the memories that stuck out to me and the things that I'm truly appreciative of in 2014.

1. I started the year on a plane and shockingly learned that I actually like flying. Now airports are another story.

2. I learned that there will be people that come in and out of your life. And I learned that this is okay.

3. I realized that I truly picked the best school for me. And that, is a refreshing, humbling and glorious feeling.

4. I learned that I'm addicted to traveling. Seeing new places, new people, new cultures, new artwork and new adventures is something that I have to have. I'm lucky for the opportunity to travel and I can't wait to see where this itch takes me.

5. This was the year that I discovered Oreos. And there's no turning back now. 

6. I'll never forget the first moment stepping out into the Brussels streets. My first steps abroad will always stick with me. And that first sandwich will also always be the best. 

7. I learned how to run, and to keep running and to get up the next day and do it again. 

8. I added more black to my wardrobe and yes, I am proud of that. 

9. I took an Art History class and fell in love. Art will be a subject that I will always strive to continue educating myself in. 

10. I dropped to my knees when I learned that I'll be working in Milan this summer. I've never been more shocked, honored and unbelievably excited in one moment of my life. I didn't know it was possibly to cry so many happy tears. I'll always remember that moment. 

11. I can truly say I know how to study. It's good to know your strengths and your weaknesses and how to use these to learn the most you can. 

12. I've learned to evaluate my investments. It is important to me to recognize and evaluate my rate of return on my organizational involvements, business ventures, relationships and of course clothing. I blame my major but it requires due thanks. 

13. I've worked harder at getting to know my city. Grizz games, new restaurants and trolley nights. I've only got four years in this soulful city of Memphis and 2014 was the year I started making them count.

14. I've learned how to let it go. Some stress isn't worth it. Type A can take a rest every once in a while. 

15. I've learned that I'd rather spend $15 on a dinner out with a friend than a new shirt. Sometimes its okay to put your money where your mouth is.

16. I've learned my limits. Sometimes after a long day it's time to throw in the towel and drive to get a donut. The work will always get done. 

17. My friends and family have found my blog and (although at first I was pretty embarrassed) I'm excited for them to see a different side of me. Welcome aboard guys.

18. I've taken me-time. I know what makes me happy, what calms me down and what inspires me. Taking a few months to figure this out was something that I will be thankful for the rest of my life. 

19. I have selected a subject that I am truly passionate about. Marketing and business makes sense to me and the opportunities that have already opened up in this area only prove that it was the right decision. 

20. To end where this year really did start - Emily and Dot took off. A blog I started on a whim turned into a business venture and a personal place to reflect and share. Thank you to all of my followers. Every comment, Instagram like and page view really makes me proud. 

Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone and everything that made 2014 so spectacular. Here's to hitting the ground running in 2015!
Emily

3 comments:

  1. Love this look back! I've been wanting to take an art/art history class for awhile now, reading this was a good reminder to me that I should probably get on that in 2015...have an awesome new year!
    Miche from Buttons and Birdcages

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, it's so awesome to look back and see where you've been this past year. I love the paris picture, I have always dreamed of going and it looks absolutely incredible.

    http://thepreppysisters.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great year! It's funny that you love flying and hate airports - I'm the opposite! And Milan this summer - what a dream! Happy New Years!

    Enter to win $50 dollar of store credit to White Plum today on the blog!

    Michaela || The Monogrammed Midwesterner

    ReplyDelete