Thursday, November 27, 2014

This Thanksgiving: 10 Things I'm Oh So Thankful For

Thanksgiving is good for us all. Not just for the acceptable day of an overindulgence of carbs but, more importantly, because it gives us a time to think of all the things we're thankful for. Even if you don't go around the table and formally state these things it's still in the back of your mind. We all need to do this every once in a while. It's easy to take for granted the great things in our life. Here's the list that I've been thinking about the past few days and it came out to a perfect number 10. So in no particular order, here are 10 things that I am oh-so-thankful for during this past year.

1. Family // Family is important and I'm lucky to have the family that I do. Being in college really makes me appreciate the time that I spend with my family even more and I'm always thankful for the time to relax around such a supportive and loving group.


2. The Very Best Friends // I'm not sure what I would do without my best friends. I know I would have a lot less blackmail-potential photos and way less embarrassing stories but I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm thankful for my the best friends that have at school, the best roommates that I get to live with daily and the best friends I have that are only a phone call away. These goobers are for life and I'm so appreciative.


 3. Kappa Delta // It may sound cheesy but KD has given me so much more than I would have ever thought. Not only did it give me an extensive collection of t-shirts but it also opened up to me a network of 200 amazing women, introduced me to the above mentioned best friends at school and gave me the opportunity to have a hands on role in leadership. AOT to all of my sisters. I'm so thankful to be apart of this incredible organization.


4. A Happy Home // Thanksgiving is a time that I do reflect on some of the things that I am lucky to have like food on the table and a roof over my head. I am so thankful for a happy home both in Lexington and Memphis where I feel safe, welcomed and loved. A bed is a beautiful thing and shouldn't be taken for granted.


5. Opportunity to Study Abroad // It might sound cliche but studying abroad truly changed my life and I will forever be appreciative of such an amazing opportunity. Not only did I get a chance to learn in Antwerp classrooms my favorite subjects but I learned of my independence, unquenchable curiosity and a passion for travel. I'm thankful for all of the things that made this possible and all of the alterations that this experience had on my outlook on life.


6. My School // To keep it simple: I picked the right one and it's a great feeling to be completely sure of that. The opportunities that Rhodes has opened up to me has been unbelievable and something that I hadn't expected. The chance to live in a soulful city, the ability and financial aid to study abroad, the chance to work at the core of some of the campuses main operations, one-of-a-kind classes with incredible professors and brilliant students have made my 3 years spectacular and I cannot wait for the fourth. I'm so thankful for this beautiful campus and the amazing opportunities that it has offered.


7. A Time to Date Myself // This summer I finally got the chance to focus on solely me and this summer I started a great relationship with myself. I learned the importance of treating myself, taking care of myself and really getting to know who I am. Just like the feeling of knowing I picked the right school, it's even better to know exactly who you are and feel completely you. I'm so appreciative of the opportunity to make my own decisions purely for me and to guiltlessly live out my dreams. I'd urge anyone to take the time to date themselves and I'm appreciative of the chance I've gotten to do this.



8. Road trips // The road trips that I took this summer, besides the big one across the pond, really stuck out in my mind when looking over this year. Whether they were a 30 minute drive to a hike, an hour and a half drive to a concert or a six hour drive to a much needed lake weekend I'm so thankful. The chance to get away and take your mind away from routine is always needed and the soul-searching that also comes along with these drives and mini-vacations is a much appreciated added perk.


9. A Good Pair of Running Shoes, Some Concert Tickets and a Netflix Subscription // These are luxuries that I am so happy to have. I'm happy to know the little indulgences that make me happy and I'm happy to have them in my life. I'm thankful that I found a free therapy in running. I'm thankful for the chance to go to concerts this year with my favorite people and I'm thankful for the mini treat once in a while that is a Netflix binge. I'm lucky to have these luxuries and on Thanksgiving I'm giving them their much needed appreciation on my list. 


10. Emily and Dot // Last but not least, Emily and Dot has made the list. I started E&D at the beginning of this year and it's completely blown me away by, first that I've actually stuck with it, and secondly by what it's grown into. What started out as a way to jot down random thoughts has turned into a daily ritual, a business venture and a way to meet other amazing bloggers in this crazy little universe. I'm so so happy and so very thankful for what Emily and Dot has become and I'm thankful for the readers like you that have made this happen. 

So here's my list and I guarantee I have left many things out but I'm lucky to have the things in my life that I do. We always need time to sit down and reflect upon the things that we're grateful for.

What made your list this year?
Emily


No comments:

Post a Comment