Wednesday, November 5, 2014

So You Want To Be An Actor? Then do it.


I found this image the other day and it really fits how I've been feeling lately. I'm so guilty We're all guilty about pushing our little aspirations aside, because of inevitable obstacles that naturally to get in our way. These obstacles take a few forms whether it be time, additional hurdles or the biggest hindrance, ourselves. 

Obviously time will always be something that gets in our way but time should only motivate us to quit thinking so much. Quit hesitating and do whatever it is that the little voice in your head is telling you to do. With the acknowledgement of a constant ticking clock, it is even more important to engage ourselves in the things that we truly find both engaging and rewarding. Additional hurdles will always be in place. Don't let these hurdles weed you out whether they are interviews and applications or coursework and internships. Don't be turned away at the mere sight of these obstacles. The road less traveled tends to be greener.

Lastly, and most importantly, we need to stop getting in our own way. One of the main issues is that, often, we don't realize that we're doing this. So you've always wanted to be an actor? You start to tell yourself to be realistic, you rattle off the statistics of salaries and job availability and then top it off with a touch of judgement. Why?! Maybe it is the positive, glass-half-full thinker in me that's saying this but we need to stop. If you want to be an actor then go for it. I'm not saying that we'll achieve all of our dreams every time we try but is that really the point? You can try all your life to step onto that Broadway stage with the ending outcome of only being turned away at the door but if you never pursued that dream in the back of your mind that door never had the possibility to be opened. Which is more rewarding? This you have to decide. 

My take on this is that if you want to be a professional basketball player, then do it. Lawyer? Do it. Open your own bakery? Do it. Marketing Consultant in the Fashion Industry? Quit making excuses and go after it. Don't put yourself down and convince yourself that it's impossible. Work hard, put in the time and dedicate yourself to those things that you've always wanted to do. Schedule your trip to the Grand Canyon and apply for that internship in Milan. Impossible is nothing because here's the thing: Someone's gotta do it. It might as well be you. 

What are your thoughts on this? What have you always wanted to do?
Emily



3 comments:

  1. I love this, and have definitely been feeling this way too. I saw my dad in France this past week, and he told me how he was really scared for me to move to France and study a different language. But when it came to studying abroad, it was something I wanted to do so I went for it, and it's one of the best things I could have possibly done. :)

    xo,
    Zoe | La Vie en Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is my life, haha! It's definitely a secret dream of mine to become an actor but I always ask myself if that's realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the inspiration! I've always wanted to start a business and, now that I've graduated, there's nothing holding me back so I've just gotta get down to business! hehe, pun intended.

    xo,
    Marissa
    www.makinitwithmarissa.com

    ReplyDelete