Monday, November 24, 2014

Pause: I'm Living in Milan?!


A few weeks ago I wrote a post {here} about going for your dreams even if they sound far-fetched. A little while after I wrote this I got some big news, good news but big, and it was one of those moments that really stops you in your tracks. I made a big step towards my dreams for the future and I'm coming to the conclusion that even though it sounds cheesy, everything I said in the post really is true. Sometimes you just have to jump in and go for it. Honestly, most of the time it will fail but those times that they pay off are unbelievably magical. I've laid a few hints around E&D about my plans in my post about applying for internships {here} and relentless wanderlust {here} but this past week all of these things came together.

So what's the big news? Let's start at the beginning. Recently, I applied for a scholarship provided by my school that would fund an internship abroad, anywhere in the world, for the entire summer. Historically, my school has sent students to the same cities with many of the same companies. I started writing my application for one of these programs but in the middle of it,  I figured if I was applying for something so far-fetched anyways then I might as well go all in. I decided to throw in all of the cards and take a risk. I wanted to ask for my ultimate dream, many people's ultimate dream, knowing that I was possibly diminishing my chances for the scholarship. I applied to intern in Milan for a fashion creative agency. Crazy, I know.

It was risky.  Honestly, as soon as I turned in the application I regretted it and told myself to start forgetting about it because I was sure it was impossible. Fast track a few weeks to last Thursday. I finally got the much dreaded email but, here's the good news,  I've never been more blown away in my life. It paid off. I picked the ultimate dream, working in the fashion industry in Milan, and now I'm headed there this summer. I threw in all of the chips and, holy crap, I'm going to be living in Milan!

It's been pretty neat to see the culmination of all of my hardwork and right now, I'm having a blast seeing how my life is unfolding. It all does pay off. Keep working your butt off and amazing things will happen. It just comes to show that one of my favorite quotes really is true: the harder you work, the luckier you get. I'm having trouble wrapping my mind around the fact that Emily and Dot will be written out of Milan this summer but I couldn't be happier.

Life is good,
Emily


10 comments:

  1. Congratulations, that's fantastic! It will be a summer you'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! What an amazing opportunity that has been presented to you! You are going to completely LOVE Italy! I'm here currently for another month or so and it's just amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my goodness! I'd love to chat about it sometime! I haven't been to Italy before but I can't wait!

      Delete
  3. Congratulations Emily! I can't wait to hear all about it!

    xoxo,
    Carrie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carrie! And you will! E&D will definitely have Milan posts this summer!

      Delete
  4. Congratulations! What an amazing opportunity!

    Michaela || The Monogrammed Midwesterner

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting, Emily! So proud and so happy that you get to live out one of your dreams!

    Constance || Prep Northwest

    ReplyDelete