Friday, October 3, 2014

#Friday Finds: News in a New Way! The Skimm!


I'm someone who likes to be updated on what's going on around me whether its the economy, international politics or New York fashion trends. Though it's important to me to be in on the news, sometimes it's harder to keep up with than I'd like. In college it can be so easy to be consumed by the bubble around me, to read my homework instead of the New York Times and to catch up on The Mindy Project rather than CNN. For a while, I was getting my news solely through Facebook trending! Although Twitter and Facebook can give you a hint as to what's going on, its fairly inadequate as far as knowing anything about the bigger picture. Yes, the Economist gets sent to me weekly but honestly I never have the time to read through cover to cover. Sometimes it feels like I live under a rock while I'm at school!

So here was my predicament: I don't have the time/energy/patience to read through a newspaper to learn about the world around me. 

Solution? theSkimm

This. Is. Brilliant.

TheSkimm is a daily email newsletter with, well, skimmed news! They break longwinded news stories into the important facts. It's one of the best finds I've had so far this semester and I can confidently say that I've been keeping up with the news skim-style for a month now. As I eat breakfast in the morning, I simply scroll through the newsletter and catch all of the big headlines. Nothing is worse than being caught like a deer in the headlights when someone asks about a current issue. 
TheSkimm founders are absolutely brilliant and they're making my mornings so much better!

Have you heard of theSkimm? What do you think of this?
Emily


                                       

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great way to stay updated with important news.

    Mina | Cream Coloured Ponies

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds awesome! I think I saw that The Skimm was featured on Mackenzie Horan's blog too.

    Ellen | A Pop of Pink

    ReplyDelete