Wednesday, July 23, 2014

Introducing: My Happy Place




Lately I've gotten into a new morning routine. Yes, yes of course I get up, check my emails, wash my face blah, blah, blah but this one's a bit different. I've been waking up a little early on my days off to go hiking. There's a nature conservatory near our new house (near is a relative term…) and I've been starting off my mornings with a 4 mile hike.

The trails are a bit of a drive but absolutely absolutely worth it. I've been feeling a little down in the dumps lately. Especially with a few weeks off this summer without any sort of schedule, I end up getting in a rut of well, doing nothing. Staying at home, wandering around the house, reading a book, watching a movie, and catching up on mind numbing tv shows has seriously been rotting my brain! Don't get me wrong. It's been great to relax however it just feels so redundant and fruitless.

I've come to learn over the past few years that I'm one of those people that cannot merely sit. Sure I can relax but about a day of doing nothing is my max. I've got to get up and go! It's crazy how much a day inside really affects my mood! Everything just feels dull, and time moves by way too slowly. Running is a great way that I break this monotony but I'm trying to really take advantage of the summer and do some things I don't have time to enjoy while I'm at school in the city.

These morning hikes have really been keeping me very grounded. Hiking and camping has always been one of my favorite things to do. With most of my best friends out of town this summer with jobs and internships the camping trip hasn't materialized however taking time to do this by myself has been even more rewarding. It's about a two hour walk, just me and nature - as cheesy as that sounds but gosh, it's so great. It really gives you time to think, sweat a little bit and breathe in some fresh air.

Summer is such a great time to find those things that really make you happy.






With a view like that it's hard to not think about just how great life is. Coming here allows me to sort through those little worries and stressers and just breathe some fresh air. 

This is my happy place. What is yours?

Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment