Thursday, April 3, 2014

Music Festival Style



This weekend is my school's annual music festival! It's called Rites of Spring and we've had some pretty great bands the past few years including The Black Keys, Dr. Dre, Three 6 Mafia and Girl Talk. This year one of the main headliners is O.A.R! They've been one of my favorite bands for a while so I'm really looking forward to seeing them. I can guarantee you I'm going to be in the front of the mosh pit for that one!

Apart from the music, one of my favorite aspects to this weekend is the style! I would consider myself a preppy person, well, a very preppy person however I love festival fashion! I am not a girl who is into the super short denim cutoffs and you would never see me wearing a crop top but I definitely believe that there is a way to make Boho both classy and chic.

There are a lot of different takes on festival style, from flowy Maxi dresses to sheer bell sleeved tops to combat boots, moccasins and fringed tshirts. While the Boho style is considered to be an overall genre, there are so many ways to make it your own!



My preppy twist on Boho style is focused on infusing brighter colors into my less traditional and less versatile pieces in my closet. Any type of colorful embroidery or unexpected detail on a classic silhouette is what I look for. Because of the typically steamy temperatures at music festivals, I try to stick to looser pieces. I wore this free people dress to an outdoor Dave Matthews Concert this summer. It was loose enough that I wasn’t dying of heat but also gave a preppy pop of color to a more eclectic dress shape.

{PK and I at a Dave Concert}

I've put together a slideshow of Festival tops, bottoms, dresses and accessories. I personally prefer wearing dresses because the loose fit keeps you cool in those hot summer temps however, on rainy days or in rowdy mosh pits, shorts can be more practical. As for accessories, a floppy canvas hat or a flowered headband really puts you in the Boho vibe. Other necessities include a comfortable pair of sandals, a light cross body bag to hold your bare essentials and a pair of your favorite sunglasses. Festivals are a great excuse to step a little bit out of your typical comfort zone and try out a new style! 

...

Counting down the days till this weekend,
Emily

2 comments:

  1. I love all your style picks! The accessories slide... Swoon! I love musical festivals, they're so incredibly fun!

    Constance || Prep Northwest

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh the accessories are my favorite! I've never had the guts to rock a flower headband but I'm really debating it this weekend!

    ReplyDelete