Saturday, April 19, 2014

A Day at the Races

One of my favorite things about coming home in spring is that it's horse racing season. The Keeneland spring meet only runs for three weeks and I'm so happy that I've gotten to come home to catch it for the past two years. Keeneland is definitely something that reminds me of home and I couldn't imagine growing up without it. I have fond memories of Easter brunches here, Saturdays spent with the family learning how to bet and leaving school early on Fridays during the spring to head out to the track with my friends.

Even without seats there is nothing better than getting dressed up and heading out to the track. It's always good to catch up with people I haven't seen in a while and the thrill of the horses crossing the finish never gets old. The quote of the day was, "You win some, but you lose more" and it proved to be pretty true. I came home with a lot of useless betting tickets but all-in-all it was a great day.

{PK and I in between races}

{Watching the horses leaving the paddock}

{Understanding the racing program is definitely an acquired skill!}

{Enjoyed spending the day with the little brother!}

If you are ever in town visiting, Keeneland is a must-see. There's nothing like the Kentucky tradition of sun dresses, mint juleps and thoroughbred racing. If you have a little extra time a hidden gem is the Keeneland track kitchen. It's a tiny restaurant at the back of the grounds that serves one of the best breakfasts in Lexington. While the food is delicious, the best part is being surrounded by the jockeys and trainers. You'll have to get there around sunrise to catch them but the stories they tell are amazing!

$20 dollars poorer,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment