Saturday, March 15, 2014

The Value in Tailoring Your Clothes

Seeing as I have now visited the tailor twice in two days I figured I would do a post on it. It might seem a little ridiculous to spend so much money on clothes after you already bought them but I think it is truly worth the extra money. I am a firm believer in the powers of a tailor. I'm totally guilty of buying a dress that doesn't fit completely right, assuring myself in the store that I'm going to wear it, and then it hangs in my closet for a year with the tags on it.

This, is where the tailor comes in.

For me, I've starting thinking of clothes as an investment. Especially when we're talking about staple pieces such as a dress shirt, a nice pair of slacks or a little black dress. These are the things that need to fit perfectly. Nothing can ruin an outfit more than pants that are dragging the ground but on the other hand, nothing can make you look better than a perfectly tailored dress.

Stores make their clothes to fit an average body form around a particular size and those sizes fitting perfectly are hardly ever going to happen. There are only a few stores where the size completely fits me and as a girl that's 5'4", pants inevitably are too long. My favorite pair of J.Crew chinos were hemmed 5 inches! On the plus side J.Crew has free tailoring so why skip on the offer?!

I got a sewing machine two Christmas' ago but unfortunately, and disappointingly, I haven't gotten the time to really sit down and master it. Until I get to the point where I can easily fix a zipper or quickly hem a pant I'm going to be dropping them off with Inta (my red-haired Russian tailor). She really is awesome. On the other hand, there are things I know that I will never be comfortable doing such as taking in a blouse in the back or even raising the waistline on a dress.

I've tried out a few tailors around my city and finally found my favorite. I truly think she does the best work in town but also at such a reasonable price! I tried to find some estimated prices on how much some basic tailoring costs and I think it really is worth the extra money.



If you're looking for places to go I would recommend word of mouth. Google is great but I really trust my girlfriends more than some of the anonymous posters on Yelp. I would also recommend to try a few out, search around for the best prices and really see which one is doing the best work for you. Also, don't forget to ask around at the stores where you buy your clothes. If you're a J.Crew card holder you get free tailoring with your purchases! You better believe I get my money's worth out of that!

Investing in clothes should be seen as investing in yourself, so why not give yourself the best?!



Currently wearing altered pants,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment