Sunday, March 9, 2014

Home Town Lovin

So I debated doing this post mainly for the reason that I don't want to be hunted down and killed but I'm going on with it anyways. So with that said, please don't hunt me down and kill me but also, if you were to do that your stalking skills are pretty commendable. But don't. Really.

Moving on.

Being back home has been good. Heading back is always a weird mix of emotions. On the one hand, driving back into Kentucky is pretty nostalgic. The white fences on the highway are when I know I'm close. The bourbon distilleries and the horses are all things that I love about my state and all of the things that welcome me home the last two hours of my drive from school. On the other hand, I do feel more distant. Obviously independence does come with college and I'm definitely starting to feel that. Kentucky will always be home but it's starting to feel more like the place that I grew up rather than the place that I live. And really I'm fine with that. I will always have so much pride for this place and I can guarantee that I will bleed blue for the rest of my life.



Kentucky was a great place to grow up. And I mean truly great. I really think I got a little of everything. For a city in Kentucky, I lived in one of the most open-minded cities in the country and I am so proud of that. In the horse capitol of the world I got to be around a million dollar industry.  I definitely did not come from a horse industry family but I had friends who owned derby horses (that won), friends' parents who trained and bred those derby horses and friends who knew how to go to the track and come home with thousands of dollars each time they went. Unfortunately I was not one of those people. I would illegally (when under 18) electronically bet on the horse with the best name and come out losing every time. Along with this, I got to skip every friday during racing season to go to the track. I mean, how could you not? A chance to wear a Lilly dress and waltz around the paddock with millionaires was never too bad.




Also, with Keeneland being so gorgeous it meant rocking senior pictures if you were able to stand the fact that everyone and their sister had taken their photos there too. At the time I was too "original" for that but now I regret it a little…

I grew up downtown and apart from there being only enough children that I could count on one hand I loved it. It was big enough that people get confused driving around but small enough that well, driving shouldn't have been a problem, but also for a kid to feel safe and explore a little. Bike rides were a common thing and after investing in a Vespa my brother and I gained even more independence. I think living downtown is what gave me my sense of direction at a very young age but also my "street smarts". After living in a medium sized downtown this definitely sparked my craving for bigger cities.



While Lexington is moderately sized it still has the gossip of a small town. Maybe that's a southern thing or maybe that says something about the group my parents were in but I'm not sure I liked it. I did however like the balance of a southern city. Let's say that Lexington is southern to the point some restaurants serve unsweetened tea. Truly blasphemy I know. But I'm one of those people who appreciate a conversation with the checkout lady at the grocery store and on the other hand I can handle not being called "honey". So I'll take the balance any day.

In an effort not to make this post exhaustingly long I'll cut it straight to the point: I loved growing up here and I would recommend it for anyone. However I do think I've slowly grown out of it. Moving to Memphis for school was a step that I really liked and I am looking forward to exploring more larger cities after graduating. All in all, Lexington will always be home for me and I'm so thankful that I can say that that.



Feeling nostalgic even though I'm here now,
Emily




No comments:

Post a Comment