Friday, March 14, 2014

Friday Finds! #GirlsCan

So this Friday Find comes from Covergirl and it's one of the best ads I've seen in a while. When you combine some of Hollywood's strongest women for one video, you know it's going to be great. The video particularly struck me because it's something that I think we've all heard before.

Girls can't? Please.

I appreciate chivalry. In fact, I don't think our society focuses on chivalry enough however there is a difference between carrying a bag for me if my hands are full and grabbing a bag if you think it's too heavy. I hate the whole "let me pick that up for you" thing. I appreciate the gesture but when you're starting to doubt my strength because I'm a girl. Oh no you didn't. Boy, I go to the gym just as much as you. I got this.

"Girls are sugar and spice and everything nice"
I read a quote earlier this week that called out this quote. There's a difference between being polite and being a doormat. We have every right to push for higher salaries, to negotiate the price of a car and to speak up in class. This message is so important and we can't say it enough. Growing up now, little girls are constantly exposed to the pop culture phenomenas of thigh gaps, barbie dolls and up talk and this culture is destructive. Acting dumb isn't cute. Getting that promotion, that's attractive.

I was that little girl that begged and begged her parents for legos and hot wheels cars but I still love a good manicure. My gender doesn't define my friends, my hobbies or my strengths. Anything men can do we can do. (Feel free to add "better". You said it not me.)

Amidst all of the photoshopped and sexualized commercials on tv right now, Covergirl got it right. Spread the message chicas. Strong women are bringing the big guns and it's been long overdue.




#GirlsCan,
Emily

1 comment:

  1. I really love this! I hadn't heard of it before, but I really love the message this campaign is sending. I love everything you said, too. Our culture is so destructive towards women, starting at such young ages. It's time to shift that doubt into belief.

    Constance || Prep Northwest

    ReplyDelete