Monday, March 24, 2014

Can you go Computer-less?


So last week my computer charger split in two! Right where the thinner cord comes out of the square part on the Mac charger. Sorry for the un-official terms but to get to the point, it just split! And as soon as it did, my laptop could no longer charge within a day. Let me tell you, this was such an inconvenience! I always thought that Mac's had the longest battery life until I had nothing to charge it up again! For a solid 4 days I was having to borrow friends' chargers, moving to do work beside them or using their chargers when they were done for the day and going to bed! Finally, I squeezed in an appointment at the Apple store in hopes to regain control over my work schedule!


Unfortunately they weren't able to give me a new cord. Apparently chargers aren't covered under Apple-Care? Fine. But they did give me a discount since I came in to see them so I'll take that. 

Once I got back and charged up my Mac once again I was good to go but those few days really showed me how surprisingly dependent I am on my computer. I feel like I'm so far behind on work because quite everything, is accomplished on my Mac. Emails, papers, articles, online homework, online banking, social media, blog posts! They all require my computer! 

I'm not really sure how I feel about my whole life being tied to this new electronic world but it really did shock me how much I'm on my computer all day. I need to start learning how to space out my computer time. Not only can my Mac become a black hole of time but I also get massive headaches after staring at the screen for too long! I think it would be good to go back to physical textbooks and handwriting outlines for papers, give my eyes a rest and learn to focus outside of an electronic workspace. The computer can really become a distraction at times and although it is so necessary in my day-to-day life I don't like feeling that dependence on an inanimate object. 

I think I'm going to start challenging myself to unplug for a day. Turn off my computer on a Saturday and simply detox. It can't be good to constantly be tuned into the world wide web and entranced by that glaring screen. I am so so thankful to have a working charger again but I really wouldn't mind spending a little less time with my inevitable Apple friend. 


Can you go without your computer for a day?
Emily

2 comments:

  1. Hi Emily.. I am not really very dependent on my lappy for work, but I am very attached to it as I use it to blog, for social media and to watch movies. Now with Internet at home, I'm not sure if I will be able go without it for a full day! Huhu..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Phoebe! It really shocked me how dependent I was. I watch movies on my laptop too. I don't know what I would do without that! I'm a total Netflix addict!

    ReplyDelete